CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
**Nathan was born January 2008 with Achondroplasia dwarfism. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism. This blog welcomes a look into our family as we raise our son as a Little Person.**

I better prepare myself for when the questions come

I know that at some point the questions about Nathan will come. So far, I really haven’t had to explain anything. Now that comments have been said, I feel that stage light. I always felt I was prepared but more so in the medical since. I never thought about what to say if kids start asking questions. Things have to be explain differently to them sometimes.

Audrey has been going to VBS (vacation bible school) at our church all week. They don’t always see us because we aren’t the greatest attends. The kids can’t sit through an hour and a half service. Seriously! So, I send Audrey to Sunday School and Nate and I go to Bible Study. It counts in my book. Anyway, as I dropped her off today I got the usually questions and comments.

  1. Oh, look at that curly hair (this is pretty much heard everywhere.)
  2. How old is he now (Answer: 19 months).
  3. As Nate’s walking: Oh, look at him go, how cute! He LOOKS so SMALL. (usually commented by how he’ll grow up to be so big or tall, ect.)

So, what do you say? I don’t want to dive into some conversation when there isn’t time to explain things properly. But, I don’t want to lie either. I do feel I need to comment on it though. So, my response is simply this: “Yes, he’s a Little Person.” Now, I told the truth but I’m sure in their minds that I’m making a reference to him being a small child rather than having dwarfism. AH people don’t automatically put Little Person together with dwarf. But I welcome any questions that come there after, but for the most part everyone’s silent. I know that as Nate gets closer to 2 years of age, everyone will see why he’s so special!

3 comments:

Always be my hero said...

Hi Laura, well, I think that is what parents of LP would face. It will not only once but the question will always there from time to time. But I also wonder, what sould be the best answer for that...

Kim said...

I barely ever comment. Perhaps that may be wrong but sometimes I feel my kid is not on a medical display at a grocery store. Let people wonder-if they do-I don't really know because I am not usually caring about random people. If someone asked I would say he has a form of dwarfism-but they don't usually (maybe I look intimidating). I usually only get a "He's adorable." usually because he is in some ridiculous hat that years from now he will kill me for putting him in. You handle it how you feel comfortable. I am usually not the educator. Unless someone ever says something mean or ignorant.

Melissa Swartley said...

I'm with Kim on this one. I do the same, barely ever comment unless directly asked why she is so small. We have been getting this question for a few months now. Usually it's "Was she pre-mature?" It's hard to dive into an explanation when you just want to go about your day and get the grocery shopping done, but at the same time I don't want to be rude. If I am directly asked I will answer that she has dwarfism... I've even stopped saying that she has a "type of dwarfism" because that often leads to more questions... "There's different types?, What type does she have? She breaks bones?! Oh my God!" So I usually pick and choose when I want to give the 30 minute eduacation on dwarfism speech. When I'm not feeling up to it I just reply "Yep she's just really little!" And of course, I would always speak up if there were ever any rude and ignorant comments!

Search This Blog