CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
**Nathan was born January 2008 with Achondroplasia dwarfism. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism. This blog welcomes a look into our family as we raise our son as a Little Person.**

A Quiet Weekend

Well, it’s quiet for now. I really thought I would have more time to myself when Audrey started school full-time. I’ve managed to slowly fill up my calendar. It’s nice to have activities but I’m a country girl at heart. I like the slow pace of things and the quiet you get from nature. Where I live it is nothing like that. On my drive to Indianapolis, I realized that Michigan has some of the worst drivers. We are speed demons, in a race where no one wins. We are also the construction capitol of the U.S., which means we’re racing to wait in line.

Nate and I have been doing mommy and me. He really enjoys socializing with the other kids. I hope that this also gets him talking more. One thing mentioned while we were in Indianapolis was that by 2 years of age, he may need speech therapy. It’s a struggle because I know how much he already knows, he just doesn’t care to say it. I have been encouraging him to “use your words.” Today, a word did come out that he hasn’t said in a long time. I was proud of him. Although Nate has said several words, he really only repeats a few.

I agreed to volunteer at Audrey’s school. First through the PTO ( I haven’t been asked to help with anything yet.) and secondly through her class. The teacher was obviously excited because she sent home a sheet that had 4 dates preselected for me. The first being this Monday. Now, I know that I agreed to help but I was under the impression that I would pick what days worked for me. Two of the dates happened to be while my in-laws are in Florida. They are the only one’s that watch the kids. So, unless the teacher agrees to me bringing a then 23 month old to class for half an hour, I won’t be any help on those dates. That is part of the reason I don’t like volunteering, it is sometimes unpredictable when you have kids. We’ll see what happens.

Audrey also started Daisies on Friday. That’s the youngest group for the Girl Scouts. She really likes it, even if she won’t tell me she really likes it. This also has commitments. They meet every other Friday (twice a month). She will sell those scrumptious cookies (along with her other various school fundraisers). And, I am to sign up as a snack mom. We do get to buy a beautiful blue smock that she will fill with badges and pins. It makes me proud to see things come full circle. I was a brownie when I was in grade school. I probably would have continued with it if I had control over things. I think that no one wanted to run it at my school anymore and it got cancelled.

Next, week will be a busy one.

  • Mon: at Audrey’s school.
  • Tues: Grocery shop.
  • Wed: mommy and me and we might get flu shots.
  • Thurs: Spa.
  • Fri: Quiet no Daises.
  • Sat: School Fundraiser.
  • Sun: Birthday party.

May not be a lot for you but for me it is. He’s some pictures of Nate with the outfit my mom found for him. And yes, my sons head got chopped off. It was the camera’s fault!!

nate 002  nate 003nate 004nate 005

“I’m all done!”

BTW Audrey did totally embarrass me at the store today. There was a man in a wheelchair. My daughter decided she would stare at him as she was inches from pushing the cart into him. I have had several talks on how everybody looks different and staring isn’t nice. If you have questions you can ask me later. This kind of behavior scare me as we are now introduced into the LPA world. We are planning to go to Nashville and all I can think about is my daughter staring and saying to me,”Look mom, there’s a dwarf” as if this was a Where’s Waldo game. Anybody have this happen or know what might be a good way to handle the situation?

3 comments:

Kim said...

Ok first of all, wow what a schedule you have! So busy! Second, I am glad that Audrey is enjoying Daisies. I was a Brownie and moved up to Juniors. As for Nate and talking-Preston had tubes put in before his 2nd birthday. That made all the difference in the world with talking. Now he never is quiet.
As for Audrey and the staring-I think this is very natural for a kid her age. They are not used to seeing someone different and when they do I think they are so taken aback they cannot help themselves. I think you handled the situation perfectly-how people come in all shapes and sizes. We went to our first LPA conference this summer. I will not lie, Preston was staring! There are forms of dwarfism where some adults are his size and you can see the little wheels turning in his head. So I think that your talks are a good thing with her.
I also love the outfit on Nate from grandma. He is just too cute with those curls!

Greene Family said...

You do sound busy! We live in a fast paced area as well, and my hubby and I try to live a slower paced life than most in our area, but it's hard not to get caught in the rush a lot.
Simon knows a lot of words/understands everything we tell/ask him, but we too have to tell him to "use your words". He surprises us a lot with new words, but he doesn't always like to repeat them. Nate is so cute in his outfit from his grandma!
That's exciting that Audrey is enjoying Daisies! Good luck with all of the volunteering! Have fun with the mommy and me classes!

Unknown said...

Yep! It's busy in the Chase household as well. Glad to see Audry is a Daisy. Ashleigh was a daisy and is now a Brownie. She meets every Friday. She absolutely loves it....probably the most of all her extracurricular. Like Kim said, I believe Audry is at the age where she is noticing differences and can't help but stare. Try getting her some books on differences and read them with her for more reinforcement.

Search This Blog