CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
**Nathan was born January 2008 with Achondroplasia dwarfism. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism. This blog welcomes a look into our family as we raise our son as a Little Person.**

Where Nate Fits At This Point

I have noticed that in many blogs, we never comment on the clothes and the sizes that our kids wear. No suggestions on great places to find things or how we may have to alter the clothes that we have. I thought that I may start with a little bit of that.

Nathan 20 months:

  • Shirt size: onesies or one piece outfits 12 mos. T-shirts 18 mos. for the length. (He actually still fits into his 9 mos summer clothes which will be the last for the summer)
  • Pant size: Fits perfectly into 9 mos but can wear 12 mos if hemmed
  • Shoe size: Wearing 4W toddler. He probably could use an extra wide but does okay. Will be retiring his 3W sandals from the summer.

For clothes it varies between maker how the sizes fit. Some run big some run small. I’ve had good luck with Carters and Osh’kosh. Those are my favs. Grandma and Grandpa outlet shop. They’ve gotten Nate outfits from Ralph Lauren (Polo), Tommy Hilfiger, and Kenneth Cole. The only problem is that Kenneth Cole runs big. I’ve had to take in the waist so they will fit Nate. I’ve also gotten Okie Dokie (JCPenny), Jumping Bean (Kohl’s) and Chirco (Target).The best thing was the jumping bean clothes I got on clearance for $2 an item. I held onto all the clothes that Nate wore in the winter in hopes that I could reuse them in the fall. I don’t think it will work. I have 3/6 mos. pants and 6/9 mos. tops. So, those will be heading to the donation pile. The last that I may be able to do. Now that I’m getting into altering the clothes, I’m not sure what to do with those.

For shoes, this was a little harder for me. Nate needs wide width which isn’t easy to come by. There are only a few to select from and I can’t believe that you have to pay $30 or more for toddler shoes. They really take advantage of you pocket book. Lucky for me there is a stride rite outlet in FL where my in-laws vacation. They found Nate 2 pairs and he had one pair found at JCPenny’s. I hope that he will get good use out of all three pairs. Also, I never got to check at the Sketchers store but I noticed online that they may have shoes that could work for Nate.

3 comments:

Melissa Swartley said...

Good topic! Sonya is almost 20 months and is in size 12 months for almost everything and we roll the bottoms of her pants... probably will be joining the hemming club soon. I always have to find shirts that either button or snap or zip up in the back so that I can get her big head through! If the outfit doesn't have these than it is impossible to get on her! We also like Carter's and Jumping Beans and have also had sucess with gymboree (they run smaller). As for the shoes, Sonya has finally outgrown her size 2 narrow crib shoes! She has super tiny feet! The only shoes that I have found to fit her so far are Pedi Peds and Robeez. They aren't rubber soled though and she is just starting to stand up. To get the best deal on shoes I have always taken my girls to get sized at Stride Rite and then kindly tell the clerk that we will be back next week... we don't return.. rather we price hunt for the best bargain in other stores and online. Sometimes I just give up and buy them at Stride Rite. They really are priced high, but I believe it's important to have a nice pair of supportive good shoes! We make them last all season! Any other shoes that the kids need we resort to Target or Walmart.

Always be my hero said...

You are right!!I was thinking to share the same thing.Perhaps it may help us to buy clothes for them.Me especially running out of idea when I want to choose Aniq's size. Pick up this, put back that because I really fail to estimate his size..I just buy and hoping all of his clothes perfectly fit him.

Greene Family said...

Good post! Nate and Simon (25 mos.) are very close in size. Simon wears 12 month tops and 9 month (some 12 month depending on the waist) pants. He wears a 5.5W shoe. I shop at pretty much all of the same places that you mentioned. I have been buying clothes for Simon at the end of the season for the next year (bought his fall/winter clothes for this year at the start of spring when they were on clearance), and so far I've guessed right on the sizes that he'll be in each season. For shoes, I buy him Stride Rites since he has had some issues with his feet - want him to have a very supportive shoe. I have been fortunate and been able to buy some of his Stride Rite shoes on Amazon for 60% off (sometimes more). Whenever I see the really good deals, I try to stock up on various sizes for him. The next time I see a good shoe sale, I pass along the info.

Search This Blog