CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
**Nathan was born January 2008 with Achondroplasia dwarfism. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism. This blog welcomes a look into our family as we raise our son as a Little Person.**

This was suppose to be a brief update!

I first have to start off with my frustration with computers. With our computer dead, they had to replace the motherboard and the hard drives. Because I didn't back things up, I lost everything on my computer. I had to order recovery discs and was to have Best Buy install them on Monday. I should be back in business except for the fact that there is an issue with the new motherboard that they installed and has to go back to the service warehouse. I wish they would just buy me a new computer and be done with it. I hope that once it's home i don't get any problems but I'm leery.

Other then that things have been going good. Spring sort of showed up, at least for a week. There has been 60 degree weather and sunshine. It's been nice to get out of the house and take some walks. I wish the scenery was better. Lots of construction. I have to dodge dirt, mud, broken sidewalks, huge holes and cars! Yes, cars because without sidewalks we are forced into the streets. I've been able to crack a window for some fresh air in the house. That has been so nice.

Nathan and Audrey had their yearly check-up at the doctors. I love my pediatrician. She comes in and sits down and talks to us about everything. This past time was such a good conversation and I realized how similar our lives are. She has a daughter that's a year or two older than Audrey and goes through the same things with her daughter. Audrey is not your typical 6 year old. She's a foot taller than kids her age and probably 30 pounds heavier. The doctor told me at this rate of growth she will be 6 foot tall. Nathan had a good check-up also. Plotted on the growth charts for Achons he is right at the mean. At 2 years his
Height: 29 inches
Weight: 23 lbs. 10 oz.
Head : 21 1/4.
His head size did increase this time. I was hoping for it to stay steady but it's still in the range. We are now working to adjust his wardrobe. Since Nate can still wear smaller sizes (Shirt 12-18 month and pants 9-12 month), I need to make sure that he looks like a 2 year old and not a baby. I have been foregoing the one piece outfits. I really feel that overalls need to be limited because it may make him look to babyish. I still get the comments from everyone that he's a cute baby. I hope that "baby" will be heard less and less but I don't know. He definitely doesn't want to be carried around anymore and persists on walking now. Hard for me to adjust because I'm such a fast moving person. Easier to scoop him up and go go go! But I know the importance of him walking and have not worry if I'm running late. Nate is doing well with steps too. He is more aware of them and waits for help if he needs it. At our house we have 2 steps down and am considering putting in a railing. I really don't want one but I have to make sure that he is independent as possible. In the near future I will be installing a lower stair rail for him, getting an adaption for light switches and converting one of the lower cabinets in the kitchen to his. The next big task is potty training. He is already coming to tell me that he made a "poo-poo" in his diaper and likes to help wipe when he pees. He even tried an assist on his mom which I politely declined.

Nate loves to help around the house. He opens and closes all kinds of doors. He insists on me lifting him up to open the door to let the dog in. OMG as I'm typing he's trying to plunge the toilet! LOL!! He likes to help with the laundry. I ball up the socks and open the drawer. He stands on the bed and throws them in. He loves to clean and organize. I hope this stays with him through life.

Audrey has been doing well in school. She has progressed really quickly with reading. She doesn't need too much help from me anymore. She is also becoming quite and artist. If see can sit still and focus long enough she does amazing art work. Hopefully I can showcase one of her drawings when I get my computer back. Audrey also loves the water. She has been swimming since she was 6 months old and is learning the different strokes at age 6. I'm signing her up for classes next month to get some more instruction. At the moment she swims twice a week at the fitness center her grandma goes to. I can't wait for spring and then summer. Four months till Nationals. I can't wait to meet everyone and see the kids all together. I'm so excited for Nate to meet and play with LP's his age and size.

I also had my first run in with someone who recognized Nate as a dwarf. I was picking up pizza one night when a lady asked how old Nate was (I do get the age question a lot now). I responded with his age and then she asked if he was a dwarf. I responded yes. She explained that she knew "Lexi" a 5th grader at her daughters school. I know OF Lexi but haven't formally met and from what I heard the family is not involved with LPA. I remember once seeing Lexi and her family at my work some 5 years ago (I had thought she looked little) but knew nothing about them. About 2 years ago I was at her school and also saw her and how happy and full of energy she was. The irony being that I was pregnant with Nate and had no idea that he was a dwarf. I guess it was a "soft" opening to what God had in store for me. Since then I have met several LP's and their families but still feel that awkwardness of belonging. I sometimes don't know what to talk about. I don't want to be nosey and am always afraid that I'm going to offend someone. So I'm quiet and I hang back. I'm really hoping that I can break out of that shell. Am I rambling? I think I'll end the post here. Happy Spring Everyone!!

5 comments:

Yiannakis Family said...

Laura - What a wonderful post! Jaxson is 18 months old now and I feel like you and Nate are just a few steps ahead of us. I love how you focus on Nate's independence and treating him his age, not his size. I too remind myself daily to slow down my life and try to let Jaxson be independent to go at his pace. Who cares if we're a little late?!

Greene Family said...

I'm sorry to hear about your computer frustrations. I hope they end up buying you a new one!
It sounds like Audrey and Nate are both doing well and that you guys have a great pediatrician!
It is so much fun (and scary at times when they are little dare devils) to watch our kids gain so much independence! I'm sure Nate will love the modifications that you are making for him in the house! He's a great helper, and I hope he continues to love chores for a long time!
You'll have to post some of Audrey's art work! That is great that she loves swimming so much! I'm really hoping to get Simon signed up for some lessons this summer.
We're looking forward to meeting you guys at Nationals!

Melissa Swartley said...

Ugh... computers! I hope yours is back on track 100% soon! Sounds like the kids are doing great! I hear ya on the clothes issue. Sonya is a bit smaller than Nate and the same age. We have found Old Navy and Target have some more mature outfits for young ones, but not the trashy kind. I'm not sure what the boys department looks like, but this is the case for the girls. I totally have to catch up and start plans for modifying some parts of the house! Sounds like you have quite the great helper! And a great reader and artist too?! Nice! I hear ya on the belonging and being a bit forward part. I've seen plenty of LP's here and there (once at our local Walmart and mostly at AI duPont) but I'm always too nervous to start a conversation for some reason. I don't want to be rude, noticing their LP status but at the same time I want to build relationships for Sonya in the LP community. I'm a wallflower too for the most part, but when Sonya's in a cast well, then I am forced into being proactive. :)

Kim said...

What a great post. I am happy to hear both kids are doing great. I am glad your pediatrician is so amazing and will talk to you about both your children. It seems Audrey is really blossoming now with her artwork, swimming, reading. She is a really well rounded little girl
As for Nate, I don't worry much about Preston and never made modifications other than the occasional step stool here and at school. I know there are different schools of thought on this. Insofar as Nate being a neat freak-his buddy Preston is as anal retentive as the come. He will take all his toys out but before he goes to bed each and every one are right back in the proper spot.
As for meeting LPs in grocery stores and the like, my neighbor had a 12 year old with achon that lived across the street. I waited for her to approach me when she saw Preston walking at about two years old. I am not usually the aggressor in those situations, although I will be the first one to help out if someone needs it.
We are still undecided on Nationals. It still depends on some scheduling at work and what is going on with a family wedding.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Search This Blog