CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
**Nathan was born January 2008 with Achondroplasia dwarfism. Achondroplasia is the most common form of dwarfism. This blog welcomes a look into our family as we raise our son as a Little Person.**

I got a talent!

As most of us know, it is important for our children to be independent and self-sufficient in our world (the average height world). I have encouraged Nathan to learn how to figure things out on his own ( or have shown alternative methods of obtaining what he wants). I am proud of him and what he has accomplished. To me everything he does is special and amazing. I feel I have retrained my brain into thinking that he does things that average sized children couldn’t but I think that as parents we tend to think our children are geniuses. Nate has figured out how to get himself into his highchair and buckle himself in. He’s actually been buckling himself in since he was 1 but has enough strength now to climb in. Also, mom had to assist for video sake but he does this all day long with no help. Enjoy the video!

Since Nate has reached 2 years of age his vocabulary has began to increase. I don’t know if he is where he needs to be till I talk with the doctor but I think that he is doing great. Since Nate suffered with numerous ear infections for a year, the fluid trapped in his ear my have led to slower vocabulary development. I know that I can understand him quite well but I don’t think that others will have as easy a job. I would love to hear what you think about this and if I should think about speech therapy. Nate’s vocab consist of these words: Mom, Daddy, Au-gee (Audrey), woof, meow, ball, ba-oon (balloon) bye-bye, baby, hi, up, pease (please), grandma, papa, ow, wow, bink, dree (drink). I included a video of him talking, he was distracted and of course didn’t want to perform but it gives an idea. These are the words that he says: Balloon, baby, ball, woof woof, meow, mom, Audrey, bye-bye and daddy.

7 comments:

Destini said...

I think our kids are geniuses too! It's amazing how they figure out how to climb and manuever things to get what they want! As far as his speech, he seems to have several words, and I bet if you really thought about it, he actually has a lot more. I was worried about Trace's speech too, and actually had him evaluated around 18 mos, and they said he was fine. Right around 2 his vocabulary and talking really took off. If you are worried about it, get him evaluated through the early intervention program, it's free.

Michelle said...

i just love the first video!!! Nate is sooo cute!!! it is adorable how he buckles himself in and then grabs his toes!!! thanks for sharing:-)

Melissa Swartley said...

I agree with Destini on this one! I have had Sonya's hearing screened regularly due to her increased risk for early hearing loss, she's always tested great! She is saying a whole lot now and combining words to form short sentences, but Sonya has also had more time to think about her speech... lot's of down time since she is casted most of the time. No physical activity = spike in vocabulary and other cognitive developments. I do remember my 5 year old not saying much at all until she was 3 years old! I was sooo worried I had her tested through Early Intervention and she tested just fine, but honestly the kid was like a mute! She is mostly a shy child, but she's doing great! I'm sure Nate is doing just fine, he's probably mastering those awesome climbing skills and other gross motor developments! Busy boy! Love the videos! Soooo cute!!!

Greene Family said...

Way to go Nate! I can't believe how easily he climbs into his high chair and buckles up! Cute videos!
Our kids are geniuses! Nate's speech sounds pretty good to me, but like Destini said, have Early Intervention services evaluate him if you are worried/curious. Simon has had delayed speech, which at first we were told was mostly due to his prematurity and having so much fluid in his ears his first year of life. He receives physical therapy and speech through EI (started in the program while he was still in the NICU). His physical therapist and educator both told us that Simon's language has really taken off in the last couple of months (says more words than I count anymore), and we all agree that it is mostly due to him no longer concentrating so much on his gross motor skills and having the time to focus on fine motor now. I'm told this is very common with boys (girls tend to talk earlier than "busy boys" from what I hear). Typically, boys want to walk, run, climb, play, etc. and then learn to talk.

Unknown said...

Great job Nate! I say the language explosion time is from 2-3. I actually was a bit worried with Ash and her speech development just before she hit 2 years of age and through early intervention she was tested and they didn't see that she qualified and then boom she had a huge language explosion after her 2nd birthday. Aidan was a bit further behind in speech. He had numerous audiology appointments to check hearing which showed no loss. He was a little behind just in speech. He didn't qualify for anything state granted but he got assistance in speech through the county and then at his 3rd birthday it switched to our local school district. He currently has speech therapy 2x a week for 1/2 hr sessions (I almost don't see the need anymore). Kids just develp at different times. Ash is in 2nd grade, but has 3rd/4th grade level in her academics and has tested and accepted into the GATE (Gifted program)so just because she was behind a bit in speech is no direct reflection on her now.

Kim said...

Nate is beyond adorable. He is just the cutest buckling himself in. As far as speech, he is making a lot of sounds. Have you had his hearing evaluated? Preston had so much fluid build up he was hearing as if he was under water. It was not until a hearing test that we figured out he needed the tubes ASAP. Then his language EXPLODED. At four he has quite an expansive vocabulary. He caught right up.

Laura Wolf said...

Nate has the tubes and passed all hearing test. Thank-you for all your wonderdul comments.

Search This Blog